Volunteer / Would like to participate

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 20:15:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 11:37, Eddahbi Karim wrote:
> Le ven 28/05/2004 à 10:34, Marc Bruggeman a écrit :
> > To the Fedora Documentation Project maintainer (Tammy Fox),
> >
> > I have been using and experimenting with Linux over the past 5 years.
> > Mostly Red Hat distributions (from 6.0 onwards I have used them all,
> > exept 8.0) but also tried out Debian, Mandrake and Slackware on several
> > occasions.  As I am a telecomm professional my interest was more in how
> > to set up the different protocols and configure the system(s) and try to
> > figure out why things were/are done in such or such a way.
>
> You'll have to precise what skills are needed for this type of job.
> Is there any documentation to read before entering in this type of
> project.
> What are the tools that will help the project.
> Do these tools exist in the RPM Database ? :P

Are you looking for something other than these?

http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/docs/
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/

> I want to build a documentation center based on documentations which are
> easy to use and read, and easy to understand so I'm interested by this
> project because, if you know how things are done, it's easier to explain
> how they work.

Fedora documentation is more immature than, for example, Debian
documentation.  We are starting from scratch with tutorials and HOWTOs.
First we need to write the documentation.  This is what is needed right
now.

Using the Fedora docs project tools is more difficult than other
methods, such as those used by fedoranews.org.  This has hurt us in
terms of getting more community writers using the tools and
contributing.  Still, it's the "right thing" to use a scalable solution
such as DocBook from the start, no matter the difficulty.

Aside from the document that I wrote and maintain, I want to help
facilitate getting everyone else's documents written.  There are many
people on this list willing to help even the newest writer get their
tutorial or HOWTO ready for Fedora docs.

hth - Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
this .signature subject to random changes