collaborating with FedoraNEWS.ORG

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jun 9 20:08:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 09:28, Gavin Henry wrote:

> > I can do .doc to docbook no problem.
>
> What do you use for this?

I haven't seen Dave's tool, so I do it through a more difficult method.

First, I evaluate the document.  Hopefully it is light on tables.

Next, I save as .txt and .html.  Then I use a conversion tool on them
(txt2docbook and/or asciidoc, html2db).

Next, I go through the output looking for the best looking conversion.
Sometimes it's worth excising tables from the HTML before conversion.

Finally, I edit the XML to clean it up, fix tags (e.g., converting
<emphasis> to other tags, etc.), and add tags.

One day I expect someone will get the itch to have OpenOffice take care
of the conversion, using XSLT to convert the XML.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
this .signature subject to random changes
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41