New Volunteer

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 23:36:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 12:51, DaveP wrote:
> At 19:39 17/06/2004, Karsten Wade wrote:
>

> >It sounds as if you are trying to get part or all of the DocBook
> >toolchain running under Windows.  While I won't say this is futile, it
> >will definitely exercise the edges of your sanity.
>
> No it won't.
> Its easy.
> I can do it, so it must be.

I'll take your word for it.  I don't have any way to try it out.

> >Instead, have you considered connecting from your Windows OS via PuTTY
> >(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) to a Fedora Core
> >server with the Authoring and Publishing package group installed (i.e.,
> >docbook-*, tetex, xmlto, etc.)?
>
> Now that is hard :-) I do it for a wiki server I have at work.

What is hard about using PuTTY to run 'make html' at the shell?

> >   You can edit using 'emacs -nw',
>
> Oh dear.
>    Karsten, that is *really* hard,
> when emacs runs on windows so well.

Okay, okay, that's fine if Emacs runs well under Windows.  Running Emacs
at the command line is a good thing for an Emacs user to know how to do,
for situations just like this.

I was thinking more about the toolchain.  If it were myself, with a good
running copy of Emacs under Windows, I would still use PuTTY to scp my
XML to the server.

My reasoning for keeping the Fedora docs toolchain running under Fedora
Core is that is where it is designed to run, best to troubleshoot, and
somewhat supportable/fixable.

> (don't know why, but defending win32 :-)

I don't either, and not from a value judgment about Windows OSes
position, but because this is not a discussion list about running
DocBook-based tools under Windows.  I didn't want to sound mean and
tyrannical to Brad or any other user who has to exist under Windows, I
just thought a solution that was thematic with the beginning and ending
(FIFO - Fedora in, Fedora out) might make more sense.

cheers - Karsten

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
this .signature subject to random changes