Elements of Style and the documentation-guide

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 19:30:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 12:14, DaveP wrote:
> At 19:30 24/06/2004, you wrote:
>
> >Why not point people to the original classic elsewhere on the web too?
> >
> >http://www.bartleby.com/141/
>

> Not heard of it.

I highly recommend you pick up a copy.  Knowing and using the full
Strunk and White version is, IMO, a requirement for writing good
English.

> Unusual though, the guy died in 46, first published in 95, then again in 99.
>
> What happened?
> .... and what makes it a 'classic' of <10 years?
>
> I'm missing something.

Short version - William Strunk first started giving out his "little
book" in 1918 to his students.  Strunk died in 1946.  Author E.B. White,
Strunk's student in 1919, added a few opinions and revisions,
re-publishing the newly joint-authored book in 1959.  It has had a few
revisions.

It is very small, easy to read and understand, and is very handy and
useful.  I presume it is only the original Strunk which is in the public
domain, and that is largely the most useful part of the guide, and the
copyright not owned by a large publishing house.

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

A review:

http://www.writecraftweb.com/bookreviews/wcElementsofStyle.html

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
this .signature subject to random changes