Enable loadable module support in Fedora kernel

Patrick Masters pmasters at sykescanada.com
Mon Mar 8 18:31:55 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I've been beating my head off the wall for over a week to try and figure
this out.  I apologize if I have the wrong list, but I'm sure this is the
right list.

Just to start, I have searched far and wide, Fedora lists, Google, etc, etc,
etc....

I am trying to compile drbd-0.6.10 on Fedora Core 1.  It seems that
"Loadable Module Support" is disabled in the default kernel.

[root at calolnxpxe01 drbd]# make clean all
rm -f *.[oas] *.ko .*.cmd .*.d .*.tmp *.mod.c .*.flags .depend
.kernelrelease

    Calling toplevel makefile of kernel source tree, which I believe is in
    KDIR=/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptl/build
    NOTE: please ignore warnings regarding overriding of SUBDIRS

make -C /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2174.nptl/build
SUBDIRS=/usr/src/drbd-0.6.10/drbd  modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl'

The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
Then build a kernel with module support enabled.

make[1]: *** [modules] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl'
make: *** [kbuild] Error 2
[root at calolnxpxe01 drbd]#

Although when I do "make menuconfig" in the kernel source, "Loadable Module
Support" seems to be enabled already.

So if I save the kernel, even when I didn't actually change anything and do
a "make dep" and then try to compile drbd-0.6.10, it compiles no problem,
but since this new custom kernel is actually not installed
(linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptlcustom) the drbd module fails to load.  Is there an
easy way to get this going, as I am not sure how to install the new kernel.
I know that I need to do some copying and linking etc, but not sure of all
the steps.  Is there a document somewhere that will explain how to do this
in Fedora.  Or an easier way to get this to work out of the box.

Any insite would be much appreciated and I do apologize for my kernel
newbieness.....;-)

Respectfully

Patrick Masters
Network/System Admin, CCNA