version control on website

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Wed Sep 15 22:12:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 16:28, Tammy Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 08:39, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 07:05, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > > How are we going to organize different versions of documents on the
> > > website?
> > >
> > > Option 1. By FC version, then document.
> > >
> > > f.r.c/docs
> > >   -> FC2
> > >     -> Tutorial 1
> > >     -> Tutorial 2
> > >   -> FC3
> > >     -> Tutorial 1
> > >     -> Tutorial 2
> > >
> > > Option 2. By document, then FC version.
> > >
> > > f.r.c/docs
> > > -> Tutorial 1
> > >   -> FC2
> > >   -> FC3
> > > -> Tutorial 2
> > >   -> FC2
> > >   -> FC3
> > >
> > > Option 3. Other ideas?
> >
> > I don't see why we can't have both... Two links, "Index by Core
> > release," then organized alphabetically within each release number, and
> > "Index by Subject," organized by release number within each tutorial. Am
> > I missing something?
> >

> We could do both on the Docs page, but we still need a way to organize
> the left navigation bar under the Docs category. Currently, all docs are
> listed there because there aren't that many, but it is going to get too
> long very soon. Sorting by version in the nav seems reasonable to me. If
> a tutorial is applicable to more than one version, we can list it more
> than once. We also need a directory structure for the URLs as well. For
> example, we now have docs/selinux-faq-fc2/ but it would be better to
> have docs/fc2/selinux-faq/ docs/fc3/selinux-faq/, which is how
> redhat.com/docs/ is organized.

I see your point, Tammy, but my feeling would be to opt for only two (or
three) subheadings under the current "Docs" nav bar entry:

  Docs
    by Title
    by FC Release
    [FAQ]*

*This would be that extra structure I mentioned; not really a FAQ, but
an organization of questions that would link to the Title index.

With the very aggressive release schedule of Fedora Core, it wouldn't be
long before the nav bar became very crowded (FC2 through FC6, anyone?).
The Docs Project doesn't currently have a policy for when we won't
publish documentation anymore for a release, and I'm not sure we should
have one. There may be people as comfortable staying with certain
releases as they were staying with, say, Red Hat Linux 7.3. I would try
and leave the nav bar as generic as possible while still being useful.

I'm sure there are problems with this idea, so I welcome the inevitable
holes to be shot through it! :-)

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE