draft notice text

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Sep 16 16:28:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 06:55, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I agree with the approach, and with the usage. One question: for Very
> Long URLs, should the actual URL appear somewhere like a <footnote>?
> Normally we use the URL as the content body as well as the "url"
> parameter for <ulink>.

Ideally, you wouldn't have to do this.  When rendered to HTML, a
<ulink/> should make a hyperlink, and when rendered to print (PDF), a
footnote should be generated instead (and it should wrap properly, too.)

However, the PDF part has been broken in SGML in our internal toolchain
for some time, which is what prompted the practice in the Doc Guide.

Is this still broken in the FDP toolchain?  I don't have a working PDF
build at the moment (again) to test ...

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41