draft notice text

Tammy Fox tfox at redhat.com
Fri Sep 17 16:35:59 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 12:24, Tammy Fox wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 11:32, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 11:23, Tammy Fox wrote:
> > > For docs created for RHEL, etc. we decided that the URL should be part
> > > of the text since when the decision was made we printed the docs. So,
> > > our rule was, if the URL is short, it should be inline text. If it is
> > > long and might line wrap, include it in screen tags so it is always
> > > rendered on its own line.
> >
> > Would you say that the suggested usage is OK, since it is doubtful these
> > manuals will be printed commercially? I would expect users *might* print
> > them locally for reference, but most reading will be done online, I
> > suspect, whether off a local hard disk (installed from a fedora-docs[1]
> > RPM package) or the Internet.
> >

> Sure. I think most of the Fedora docs are going to be read from their
> HTML versions. So, I don't see any problem with having the URLs rendered
> as footnotes in the PDF versions. It might look a little weird if the
> text inside the ulink tags is the actual URL, but I don't think that is
> a big deal for the Fedora docs. I don't recall turning off footnotes in
> the Fedora stylesheets, so I'll look at it to make sure it is still
> rendering them for PDF versions.

The default behavior for PDFs is to put the URL in brackets:

some link [http://www.example.com/]

For HTML, it just creates the href without a footnote or brackets.

The brackets don't look that bad, but if the URL is too long, it doesn't
line wrap. It just goes off the page. We had this problem with DSSSL and
SGML for a while, but it was eventually fixed. So, it looks like
footnotes in the PDFs are the way to go. Please file an RFE, and I'll
look into it unless someone already knows the XSLT to add footnotes for
URLs in the PDF output.

Tammy