review of hardening guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:18:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 14:58 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:

> > > Is there an update tutorial?  If so, I missed in at the site.  I would
> > > be happy to link to it, once I knew where it was.  ;-)
> >
> > "Keeping Up to Date" on http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/ IIRC. However, it
> > is in need of some authorial and editorial lovin', in my opinion.
> > There's nothing about up2date on it, for example, and while I was hoping
> > to whip it into an "Audrey Hepburn" level of style, it appears to have
> > petered out somewhere around "Li'l Kim."
>
> I noticed the same thing and wrote this, which includes up2date:
>
> http://www.se.clara.net/fedora/software-management-en/
>
> I posted a earlier draft but then let it slide, partly because I saw the
> announcement about PUP and hoped that it could be promoted instead of
> up2date + CLI yum for FC4.

Stuart, this is excellent, and looks much closer to what I wrote (and
subsequently lost).  It also reads very crisply and is a good example to
newer writers!  I would like to see this replace the current tutorial if
possible, after a suitable period of public comment and editorial
process.  Any extra material that the original "updates" tutorial covers
could and should be subsumed into this one.

I don't know what the current status of pup is... can you suggest a URL
or summarize here?  In any case, if pup's not ready for prime time in
FC4, we can always add information about it to this document later.

Karsten, what say you?

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE