[fedora-java] Re: PDF generation problem solved for me

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Thu Apr 7 21:41:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 16:27 -0400, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 15:49 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> > Surely there must be a GPL-friendly PNG handler in Java somewhere?  How
> > hard would it be to rewrite this part of FOP?  What's the status of
> > getting a natively-compiled FOP into Fedora?
>
> There's a gdk-pixbuf-based PNG decoder in libgcj's javax.imageio
> implementation.  No encoder though.

How about the imageio stuff from the java-gui-branch[1]?  I've
successfully rendered PNG images using the java-gui-20050128-branch, so
this should be available in gcc4 as well.

> Probably the most efficient way to get a GPL-compatible Java PNG
> encoder is to package JMagick.

Before libgcj got imageio writing support, I also used PndEncoder[2],
which is a pure-java encoder (LGPL).

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/classpath-patches/2005-01/msg00093.html
[2] http://catcode.com/pngencoder/
--