Streamlined Install Guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:17:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 10:29 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:46:23 -0700, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
> said:
>
> > Yes, this post-install section is a good place to have links to all the
> > external tutorials that no longer belong in the IG.
>
> I intended it as a way of directing new users on to the on-line
> community as well, through the "Help on the Web" section.  Unsure
> whether to put a more active "Partipate" or "Join the Community" piece
> in.
>
> I also ought to note that Paul has checked in a Disk Partitioning
> section as well.  This document is now pretty much out of the mire
> (fingers crossed).

Sorry if I held it up! :-(  But it looks like we're back on schedule to
possibly have a decent release for FC4, thanks to Stuart's tireless
efforts.  Do you know who has the bootloader section?  I think that may
be one of the only things left.

I am willing to start editing the portions I didn't write -- i.e. most
of the guide -- for style if no one has any objections.  Anyone else
(who didn't write it) want to split it up with me?  N.B. If you're not
one of the "old hand" editors -- and I'm most definitely NOT including
myself in that group -- you will probably want to visit the current
Fedora Documentation Guide DRAFT style chapter, and make sure you are
familiar with its content:

  http://docs.frields.org/html/documentation-guide-en/

I was also thinking about whether it was worthwhile to change the name
of this publication from a "guide" to a "handbook," based on its current
mission to provide a lower level of instruction than the customary Red
Hat Guides. Most of the existing Red Hat Guides are hundreds of pages,
due to their extensive cross referencing and exhaustive discussion,
whereas this guide will probably clock in at significantly less, due to
its more practical tutorial format.  Is this nitpicking, or does anyone
else think there's value in differentiating between the two?

Perhaps it could start out this iteration as the "Installation Handbook"
and, when there's enough material and community participation to
warrant, it would become the "Installation Guide."  Perhaps, on the
other hand, I just need more coffee.