getting started (false start 1 of ?)

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Wed Apr 20 10:55:58 UTC 2005

<quote who="Duncan Lithgow">
> Hi Gavin
>
>> It first refers to 3 files I can get through yum (xmlto —
>> > docbook-style-xsl — docbook-dtds) and then jumps into checking
>> things
>> > out of cvs.
>>
>> I don't believe you ;-) Do a yum search xmlto and yum search docbook.
>> They
>> are definiteley there.
> You were right, they're already installed ( I thought i'd selected the
> docbook stuff at install), so why do I get
> # yum install xmlto
> Nothing to do
>
> This may seem silly, but I'm a bit believer in lessening the learning
> curves steepness, so can you add the line
>
> "Do 'yum search <file-name>' as root to see if you need to install any
> of the files."
>
> to: http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/ch-getting-
> files.html

I agree. This needs to be updated. I'll add this to the docs wiki.

>> > 1. getting going with DocBook
>> See above.
> Well not quite, I still don't know what app to start and what to do with
> it...
> Nor do I have any experience of using cvs, maybe you can recommend a
> link and add it to that page as well?

I think the instructions are pretty clear. This is the doc I followed when
I started. It points you
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/ch-emacs.html

and lists explict commands, which is all you need to type. So, paste one
line at a time, hit enter and you're done:

export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at rhlinux.redhat.com:/usr/local/CVS
cvs -z3 login
cvs -z3 co fedora-docs

>> > 2. who to talk to to make the docs newbie friendly
>> Us.
> Hi there. Nice to meet you.

Pleasure.