why o why

gaurav gauravp at hclcomnet.co.in
Thu Apr 21 07:13:18 UTC 2005

Hi,
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>

>> You can easily track changes with wiki , implement workflow and
>> change history ...revert the changes, discuss changes  ..edit
>> document online, resolve conflicts  and yes its possible to export
>> wiki into docbook format do lot dynamic stuff with content ...
>> (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/DocBook_XML_export) ...
>

> I suspect that learning how a wiki system manages all this would have
> a similar learning curve to using CVS and Docbook.

 From my past experience using wiki is lot more simpler (once
setup...and access, workflow defined) than manually check docs into cvs
and running a xml parser to covert it and follow this cycle over and
over again every time when changes are required in document

> We really should be more worried about getting suitable content rather
> than refining the submission process now.

Even though I am programmer I would prefer (i guess same holds true for
majority) to work my code and use a user friendly tool so that I spend
minimum time on documentatation and managing content , Improving
submission and document life cycle management system will probability of
more document submits and  improving quality  thru automated  workflows
ao edit release cycle

> If you are using OO.o and can manage to get your the document
> submitted using whatever methods that is followed currently we can
> look into other options to improve the whole process using wiki,
> better GUI tools like conglomerate and so on.

I agree with you .....we can look at wekipedia project...biggest
documentation project ever ....their process and how they manage content
quality and life cycle management ......

If we want to stick around XML then open office XML format is good too
.....its become  as  standard accepted  by OASIS to store documents
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office though
I  prefer wiki or CMS tool .....Just my opinion too  :-)