Linking to mp3 decoders

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 18:13:17 UTC 2005

(moving this discussion on-list for clarity)

> Hi
>
> I found this article on the Red Hat website which explicitly links to
> mp3 decoders. http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_80mm.html. If this is
> legally safe we might as well as bless fedorafaq(.org) as our official
> one and point it in our release notes or even download the mp3 decoder
> automatically from the net when the user tries to play an mp3 file. We
> might to have get feedback from our legal department on this but I
> thought I would let you know

Word I got today was that we are OK to link to a site that discusses
these issues, as that page does.  We cannot link to a site that directly
offers the questionable items for download.  That could be "contributory
infringement."

So, we cannot necessarily use the content from FedoraFAQ as-is
ourselves, but we can link to it, saying, "For information about using
MP3s, this site discusses that."  As long as they don't have direct
links to packages that might contain infringing materials.  Then we
can't link to them.

Clear as mud?

We need to review how FedoraFAQ.org handles these items _before_ using
them as a reference.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide