why o why [off topic]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 19:11:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 12:39 -0500, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> Quoting Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com>:
>
> > > Whats wrong On Document for deployment of Oracle on fedora or RHEL
> >

> > I am not claiming that its wrong but I would like a discussion (not just
> > between us) before it gets accepted officially. So I am dropping off
> > this conversation until others participate in it
>
> I'd like to see it, but I'd like to see it in a separate section,
> so that people know that it documents something that is not a part
> of Fedora Core releases, but can be used with Fedora Core releases.
>
> So, I'd vote to have a separate section for non-Fedora Core included
> software.  I don't care if the software is Open Source or not so much
> as I care that it is not part of the distribution, really.  I'd consider
> it all "Third Party" software, whether open source or not.

I think this is not a moot point.

Fedora Project is about building a general purpose OS from free
components.  That includes the documentation.

There are plenty of people dedicated to making non-free software work
and documenting that.  It's really not our purpose here.

If we were a general-purpose Linux documentation project like, say,
TLDP, then we could consider all cases of everything that runs under
Linux.  But we are a Fedora documentation project.

Until Oracle is open source and shipping as part of Core or Extras, I
don't think we can devote any more space to discussing or writing it.

> > For your information I have been arguing that LDP move its documentation
> > on non-free software to a seperate section or remove it altogether. You
>
> I agree on the separate section, at least for FDP, but not to remove it.
> If people want to write it, it is of high quality and usefulness, then
> allow it.  But I'd like to make clear that it is separate from the
> FC distribution, hence the idea of a separate "Third Party Software"
> documentation section.

When FC has a Third Party Software repository, we can document it.

To be honest, we have enough work to do already without having to do
Oracle, Nvidia et al's work for them.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide