Why are you lurking on the Documentation Project? (was Re: this is for you)

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sun Aug 21 00:29:25 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 21:10 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 20.08.2005, 14:34 +0100 schrieb Stuart Ellis:
> > On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 12:45 +0200, Peter Boy wrote:
> >
> > > - I'm missing a list, something like a "Table Of Content", about the
> > >   topics, which should make up "Fedora Core Documentation" when it is
> > >   ready. If such a list were available I could check weather one of my
> > >   texts may fit
> >
> > One of the main ideas of the Fedora Project is that it's community
> > driven, i.e. it provides a framework to enable people to do the things
> > that they themselves consider important. The Docs Project provides
> > various kinds of support and infrastructure for publishing and
> > maintaining documentation, but they are really processes and don't
> > impose restrictions on content.
>
> Fully agreed. But  :-)
>
> In order to achieve a comprehensive and well structured "Fedora
> Documentation" I suppose some over all planning is helpful. And despite
> being community driven somebody has to make the initial step. I think
> the FDSCo is the only one who can this do.
>
> Such a framework  being available may inspire one of the other lurkers
> here to contribute a chapter.
>
> (By the way would be interesting why a lot of people are just lurking.
> May be they have no time left, may be they get no idea what to
> contribute under the restriction of their time table).

I guess that you are envisaging a single large document. We've tended to
aim for smaller and focused documents, as they get rapidly get harder
for a volunteer project to produce and maintain to a consistent standard
as they increase in scale.

Having said that, one of the ideas currently on the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/DocIdeas is for a Fedora
Desktop Guide, which breaks up into chapters. This could probably be
done with 2-4 people.

> > We have a "New Writers" page which we push as much as we can:
> >
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/NewWriters
> >
> > If there a way that we can make this easier to find, or clearer, then
> > please let me know.
>
> OK, this is highly speculative and to some extend a matter of personal
> taste. But perhaps there is too much information about too many
> different topics on the initial page
> ( http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/ ).

Thanks - this was very helpful. The main page and the New Writers page
have now been restructured.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA