Emacs validation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:59:41 UTC 2005

OK, gang, I'm kind of tired of the fact that my validation within Emacs
has *never* worked correctly, so it makes doc writing/editing just a bit
less enjoyable.  When I do validation (C-c C-v), the validate command
comes up as follows:

  nsgmls -wxml -s name-of-doc-en.xml

When I run it, I get a *huge* number of errors such as this:

= = = = =
-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/fedora/docs/jargon-buster/"
-*-
nsgmls -wxml -s  jargon-buster-en.xml
nsgmls:<URL>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd:112:15:W: named character reference
nsgmls:<URL>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd:112:17:E: "X20AC" is not a function name
nsgmls:<URL>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/ent/iso-amsa.ent:8:17:W: named character reference
= = = = =

I can't believe this is what I should be seeing, since it happens even
with documents that are perfectly fine as far as xmlto is concerned
(i.e., "make" works fine).  What am I missing that would make this a
more joyful experience?