[RFC] Image filename conventions

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 17:43:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:40 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> AFAICT, there are two classes of figures: language-specific and
> language-neutral.  All neutral files should always be copied into the
> HTML chunk tree, or placed into the RPM.  Only the matching
> language-specific files should be copied to the HTML chunk tree or to
> the RPM, because image files can get disproportionately large.

Yeah I like this ... saves you from pulling in other lang specific
images.

> This gets very complicated really fast.  I hate complicated:

Couldn't agree more.  We'll need to have the images/figures section of
the documentation-guide (2.5. Diagrams and Image) updated to reflect
these rules.

Are you already set on this format?  Something about leaving the image
filenames open to the authors appeals to me.  What are your thoughts on
a directory structure instead of filename rules?  Perhaps something
like:

  figs/$lang/
  figs/common/  or just figs/

If we force all images to be in the figs/ subdirectory, this will make
it difficult for large documents to remain sane.

Thoughts/concerns?

Thanks,
James Laska
 James Laska         -- jlaska at redhat.com