[Fwd: Re: Hardening Doc Update 2]

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 11:23:28 UTC 2005

> > this document in my opinion doesnt serve its purpose
> > currently and should either be expanded to cover
> > security in a much more detailed way or just target
> > the desktop users and point to other docs for details
> > if necessary

Perhaps a lot of the issues raised could essentially be resolved by
editing the "Intended Audience" ?  Reading the document from the
perspective of someone using Fedora for workstations and small servers
(which I think are the common use cases), and thought that it covered
enough of the elements of a default installation.  Each network service
has it's own issues which an overview can't really address.

I agree that advice purely for end-users running a desktop would require
a different format.

We may be able to address the issues about package management fairly
swiftly.  Material exists documenting all of the elements of package
management discussed, but hasn't been entered as a Fedora document.
I'll post a separate mail and try to progress this, since I ought to
have done so before.