Screenshot Queries

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 15:07:35 UTC 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:08:08 -0800, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
said:
> On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 13:09 +0000, Stuart Ellis wrote:
>
> > I've done a full batch of screenshots for the Installation Guide,
> > and the masters are here:
>
> > http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~hobb/fedora/screenshots/
>
> The one I can see looks great. :)  The others are 403 forbidden. :(

D'oh.  Now fixed.

> > Two rather silly queries regarding these:
>
> > 1) The Documentation Guide specifies a width but not a height.
> >  What would be the best height to use ?
>
> Generally, I'd say that if they are the correct width, the correct
> height is already there.  Don't worry about it unless you have one that
> is particularly tall.  In that case, consider reconfiguring the
> screenshot.  None of that applies to Anaconda, since everything has the
> right aspect ratio.
>
> Might be different rule of thumb for PS/PDF, maybe four inches for
> letter size, you can calc the cm for A4 yourself :).

I really am totally ignorant about the issues here, especially WRT
generating PDFs...  Does this mean that the EPS is simply embedded in
the PDF in the same way that PNGs are embedded into the HTML page,
without twiddling with the dimensions at all ?  I live in an A4 country,
but obviously most of the people printing the docs will be using letter
size.

> > 2) There are a lot of images, which means that organising them is a
> > problem in itself.  Is there a naming convention that I should use >
> for the files ?
>
> I've seen them dropped into unique folders, one folder for every section
> of the install.  This helps if you have a guide that covers multiple
> architectures and might have different screenshots for the same part of
> Anaconda.  I don't think this applies for FC.

Official PPC support is on the FC4 features post that Bill Nottingham
sent to the devel list, so we probably have to assume that this document
will have to support additional architectures...  I think that the only
parts of the document that would vary by architecture would be the boot
loader section and maybe the partitioning, but don't actually own any
64-bit or PPC systems.

> > FWIW, these were captured using VMWare.  I found that many of the
> > required images couldn't be captured with anaconda's
> > --auto-screenshot because they were either text mode, or were
> > dialog boxes.
>
> Cool, I'm glad you have VMWare available.  For FC4, I'll help you look
> into Anaconda's screenshooter.  If it is inadequate for the task, we'll
> file some feature requests. :)

That would be great.  Even with the semi-official patch VMWare is very
cranky on a FC3 host, and I don't expect that VMWare will track Fedora
development on an ongoing basis.  So I've started looking at alternate
solutions.
--

Stuart Ellis
s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk