Screenshot Queries

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 01:56:24 UTC 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:37:36 -0500, "Tammy Fox" <tfox at redhat.com> said:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 01:09:52PM +0000, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> > 1) The Documentation Guide specifies a width but not a height.  What
> > would be the best height to use ?
> >

> When you resize it, contrain proportions. The width maximum is for
> online viewing. Height doesn't matter as much. When we generate PDFs,
> the height will matter more because of page breaks, but the anaconda
> screenshots should be fine.

The dimensions for the EPS images is the bit I don't understand very
clearly.  When I run 'make pdf' I get an A4 layout, but presumably the
EPS has to be sized so that it looks OK on US Letter as well.

> > 2) There are a lot of images, which means that organising them is a
> > problem in itself.  Is there a naming convention that I should use for
> > the files ?
> >

> The filenames you've used look fine -- descriptive of the screen
> itself. One suggestion I would make is to remove the numbers.

OK, I'll amend these.

> > FWIW, these were captured using VMWare.  I found that many of the
> > required images couldn't be captured with anaconda's --auto-screenshot
> > because they were either text mode, or were dialog boxes.
>
> There is a way to capture screenshots for the "text" screens, although
> I've never quite figured it out. Someone on the anaconda team might be
> able to enlighten us if they are watching this list.

Looking back through the discussions on screenshots, I found this
message from Karsten advising that the functionality was broken:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2004-August/msg00347.html

I admit that I didn't experiment much, as I knew that I could get VMWare
to produce something workable.  Hopefully we can hash out a process for
FC4.  On my to-do list is trialing QEmu as a VMWare replacement, and
that would get around the dependency on non-Free software, even though
it's not very a elegant solution.
--

Stuart Ellis
s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk