Fedora Documentation Search Engine

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 14:21:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:56:58 -0000 (GMT), "Gavin Henry"
<ghenry at suretecsystems.com> said:
> Dear all,
>
> Has there been any discussion about this?
>
> I thinking along the lines of htdig/swish-e that indexes all man
> pages/howto/README after every rpm is installed.
>
> Something like a post entry in the spec file, or similar.

I haven't seen any on this list, but essentially this is a function of
having a desktop search/indexing engine since there isn't a common
format to this stuff.  The next release of yelp (GNOME help browser)
will display info and man pages, but can't index the random txt, html,
pdf etc. that goes into /usr/share/doc/.

As a non-technical workaround I wrote a Docbook section for the
Installation Guide explaining how to find the various sets of
documentation in Fedora, which is currently in my offcuts folder.  It's
a bad situation for new users at the moment...
--

Stuart Ellis
s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk