Re: Some thoughts on the yum tutorial

Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 11:58 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

Stuart Ellis wrote:

3. I would have started by discussing the entries in /etc/yum.repos.d/ ,
perhaps with model entries for the 3 standard repositories.
That would enable people to get started as quickly as possible.

Yum in FC4 has been set up so it now isn't necessary to directly work with the contents of the configuration files at all for normal usage. It works out of the box, using the Fedora repositories, and you can add and remove third-party repositories by copying .repo files (or having an application do it).

I always replace the repositories given in the default entries by local repositories (I mean in Ireland, in my case). I don't know if that is standard practice.

It's not, since the default entries are to mirror lists and not single
sites.  Your package requests go to a random mirror entry, meaning
there's a basic and large-scale load balancing that happens without you
having to do anything.  What happens otherwise if your local repo is
down?

There is a country mirror list and simply adding country code to default mirror list works. I am living in Japan and using default mirror list is unbearably slow. So I am using following following mirror lists.
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever.jp
Mentioning of these country mirror list would be nice.
(I am not saying everyone should use it.)

<snipped>

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.9.5/58 - Release Date: 2005/07/25