Bugzilla assistance

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jun 22 15:25:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 14:07 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > I've been fixing a couple tidbits here and there.  In my CVS commit
> > message I make sure I have, on a separate line (and sometimes this will
> > be the whole of the message if the bug is self-explanatory):
> >
> >   Fix bug #123456
> >
> > It probably doesn't matter what text people use, but having a
> > number/pound sign "#" before the bug is a good thing.  I've seen people
> > do some cool automagical things with CVS commit messages and Perl, and
> > having a marker for the bug number definitely helps.
>
> Pardon intrusion by a non-expert,

Don't worry, it's good to ask and keep everyone from assuming too much
about this group. :)

> but are you just talking about bugs in documentation?

Yes.  Bugs in documentation are:

* Typos
* Grammatical errors
* Inaccurate or unclear technical instructions
* Feature request
  * Add a section
  * Reorganize sections
  * Cover new content
  * Drop coverage of old content
  * etc.

> What exactly do you mean by your "CVS commit"?
> Commit to what?

CVS is the concurrent versioning system that is used to store
documentation (and program) source code.  We use cvs.fedora.redhat.com.
For more information, try http://www.cvshome.org/ and Google, of
course. :)

Using CVS allows us to collaborate on documentation, keep track of
multiple versions (branches) of docs for different versions of Fedora
Core, and be able to rollback to previous versions fairly easily.

Instead of manually versioning directories and using a file transfer
program (scp), we let CVS take care of all that for us.

When submitting changes to CVS, you do the command 'cvs commit -m "log
message" file1 file2 ...'.  The commit puts the new content in CVS with
the associated log message.  An email is sent to fedora-docs-commits
with the content of the update and the log message.

> I have just been submitting a bugzilla on FC-4
> (nothing to do with documentation)
> and found the whole process rather daunting.
> A bit like a conversation in a foreign language.
> I can't believe that this is the best way
> to document and resolve bugs.
>
> But this is probably OT here, in which case please ignore me.

Actually, we really need a "How To Use Fedora Bugzilla" document.  Your
situation is not abnormal.  FOSS tends to assume a lot about users that
is not always fair.

Feel like being a usability editor of such a document? :)

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide