Fedora Installation Guide Schedule

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 15:26:18 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:09:42 -0800, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
said:
> On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 02:01 +0000, Stuart Ellis wrote:

> It sounds like you should branch as soon as possible.

The key problem, really, is that I don't know how long it will
realistically take to do some of the tasks, particularly as everybody is
working in their spare time.  For example, I don't actually know how
long an edit takes for a document of this size.  Which is is why I feel
that I have to pass the buck and ask what other people feel is
reasonable.

> Where is the canonical SVN/CVS?

The canonical version is the latest release on the Website, uploaded
from my workstation. Paul and Mayank are working on specific sections so
merging isn't an issue at this stage.  The need to eventually move into
Fedora revision control is partly why I see multiple versions as an
issue - as you say, at some stage we have to import into CVS, so I
wasn't sure whether we ought to be importing IG3 and then branching for
4, or waiting until 4 and not branching until 5.  I don't use an RCS in
my work, so I don't know how this should be administered or what the
pitfalls will be when we do it.

> > I'd be very interested in hearing how professional documenters link
> > program screens with the documentation - I don't think that the current
> > layout quite gets this right.
>
> I'm not sure what you are asking here.  Do you mean hyperlinking screens
> to docs, or conceptual linking?

Conceptual linking.  I know a tiny bit about page design, but nothing
about best practice where the user may be reading the document and
information from the screen simultaneously.  Paul offered to ask the
documenters at his work.

> Therefore, linking to an appendix that explains LVM and partitioning
> (overview) is great, and we definitely want to support the default
> choice here with our docs.   IMO.
>
> I'm also in favor of /home being a separate partition by default.

In all the scenarios I could think of where you wouldn't want to do it,
you would be probably be using Kickstart or doing custom partitioning
anyway, but obviously not everybody agrees, *shrug*.

--

Stuart Ellis