new project leader

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Wed Mar 30 16:24:45 UTC 2005

<quote who="Tammy Fox">
> On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 09:08 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 16:19 -0500, Tammy Fox wrote:
>> > Thanks to everyone who has helped with the Fedora docs project. After
>> > slow start, I think we are steadily gaining momentum.

>> > demonstrated leadership potential. So much potential in fact, that I
>> > have decided to turn over leadership of the project to him. Most
>> > projects change leadership once a year or more, and I think this is a
>> > great idea for our project as well. In the future, the project leader
>> > will change on a yearly basis, if not sooner.
>>
>> Congrats, Karsten, and I hope to keep working with you as an editor. I
>> am a little worried about considering an annual change, but that may
>> simply be because of our slow start. In our office, when project
>> leadership changes that often on a project that runs at a cooler
>> temperature, it usually signifies decreased viability. If things heat up
>> here over the next year, though, this concern is probably moot.
>>

> I think changing leaders once a year will keep the project running at a
> good pace. The trick is that the leader must understand that his/her
> primary goal is forward progress--helping writers find editors, helping
> topics find writers, and having the final word on decisions in debate.
> Since the steering committee members won't change out every year, they
> can offer the consistent leadership I think you are looking for.
>
>> > I will take more of a technical perspective, offering editing
>> assistance
>> > and programming skills should any of our custom DocBook scripts and
>> > stylesheets need updating or modifications.
>>
>> And let's not forget, although it is not related directly to the FDP,
>> the outstanding work you've been doing on the Red Hat Magazine. If any
>> of the list members haven't checked it out, you should.
>>

> Thanks for noticing. ;-)
>
>> > In the next few weeks, Karsten will put together a steering committee
>> > for the Fedora docs. The committee will meet on a regular basis to
>> > discuss tasks that need to be done to move the project forward. Expect
>> > to hear more about it from him shortly.
>>
>> Thanks for all you've done, Tammy, and for your continued assistance.
>>
>> --
>> Paul W. Frields, RHCE
>
> Thanks Paul. Your kind words are appreciated.

Sorry Tammy,

I forgot to say well done in my original reply. You helped me out a lot
when I first started doing DocBook stuff and when I submit my patches to
the Documentation guide. I really appreciate your work and will be
following the Red Hat Magazine.

Will you still be the Editor of that?

Gavin.

--