Self-Introduction: Duncan Lithgow

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Thu Mar 31 17:17:36 UTC 2005

from: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject_2fSelfIntroduction
> The below items in bold are Required while the other items are
optional but highly recommended.

WTF!!??  People volunteer to help and get rather long list of *required*
information!!?? I reserve further comment and decided it would be bad
form for a new user to edit the wiki... I won't even start talking about
right to privacy and the idea of a meritocracy!

Anyway...

Body

     1. Duncan Lithgow

     2. I'm in the city of Århus in Denmark (pronounced 'oar-huus'), but
        New Zealander by birth and taste in breakfast cereals.

     3. I'm trained as an architect, self taught so-so php programmer
        but good with html/css. Currently doing boring labour temping.
        Done lot's of other irrelevant stuff. Oh, one relevant thing is
        I'm a trained 'english as a foreign language' (efl/esl) teacher
        - so i'm passionate on the need for docs written in easy to
        understand english - far too much is written for advanced
        english speakers - think how many non english speakers try to
        make use of these docs.

     4. n/a

     5. Your goals in the Fedora Project

              * What do you want to write about?
              * - don't know yet. Maybe 'Why should your non-nerd
                girlfriend/boss/college use linux and how to convince
                them and them her'

              * What other documentation do you want to see published? -
                see above

              * Do you want to edit for grammar/writing and/or technical
                accuracy?
              * - yes/yes/no

              * Anything else special?
              * - editing for friendliness to esl readers.

     6. Historical qualifications

              * What other projects or writing have you worked on in the
                past?
              * - while learning postnuke cms I wrote this  about the
                theme system, I thought it was poorly documented and
                neede to keep track of what I was learning. I've since
                turned the xml file over to the postnuke docs team ( i
                don't use postnuke any more)  http://www.lithgow-
                schmidt.dk/pnThemeManual_v01/ch01.html

              * What level and type of computer skills do you have?
              * - modest, just starting to learn the command line. Long
                time semi-power-user of windows.

              * What other skills do you have that might be applicable?
                User interface design, other so-called soft skills
                (people skills), programming, etc.
              * - good at cross-culture communication, constructive
                critic of design quality of gui's in terms of logical
                structure and intuitiveness.

              * Why should we trust you? <--- too blunt?
              * You shouldn't until I've proved myself, but hey, get
                over it, we're talking about writing docs!

     7. GPG KEYID and fingerprint

              * Be sure that your GPG key is uploaded to pgp.mit.edu.
                Use "gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --send-key KEYID".

              * Your GPG fingerprint is 40 hexadecimal characters long,
                while your KEYID is the last 8 digits.

              * Below is an example of a block of text suitable for cut
                & paste into your self-introduction e-mail.
              * sounds like a hastle, follow the link, it's easier:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x21A8C63A

So, that's me on a good day, in an impatient tone. ;-)

Duncan