Are Fedora docs readable?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue May 10 10:39:36 UTC 2005

Tommy Reynolds wrote:

>> I was looking for a document that would explain
>> how Linux/Fedora decides what driver to use
>> with a given USB device,
>> and google directed me to usb-hotplug-tutorial.
>>
>> Unfortunately this appeared to be in XML,
>> and required a DTD which I could not find.
>
> Perhaps if we:
>
> A)  Knew where the usb-hotplug-tutorial you found was located, or

I think you will find there is only one document in the universe
called usb-hotplug-tutorial.
I found it at
<http://www2.frields.org:8080/WebSVN/listing.php?repname=fedora-docs&path=%2Fusb-hotplug-tutorial%2F&rev=0&sc=0>
together with a Makefile.
I said "make" and received a plethora of errors.

> B)  Knew which DTD you needed but couldn't find, or

Although some of the errors seemed to refer to DTDs,
it appeared to me that the overall error was that
I was not in the right context to process this document.
My question was, what is the right context?

The question was not really about this specific document,
but about the whole series of Fedora documents.

In my view, if something appears on the web
with the word "document" in the title
then it should be possible to read it,
and if it is not immediately clear how to do this
then there should be instructions given on how to process it.

> C)  Knew which USB device you were interested in

I am actually trying to get an Agere (Lucent) ORiNOCO USB Client
(0x047e/0x0300) working.
The device appears in /proc/bus/usb/devices
but with no driver listed.

My question was, how does a USB device decide which driver to use,
as eg a PCMCIA device looks in /etc/pcmcia/config .
Is there a similar source for USB devices?

> Specific questions get specific answers.

The question was a general one, as above -
how does a USB device decide which driver to use?
But if you are able to answer this in my specific case
I would be very grateful.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366