release notes beats

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Tue May 10 23:06:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 03:58 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> We have an important job in producing the release notes for Fedora Core.
> My idea for doing this is to breakdown the relnotes into journalistic
> beats.
>
> Here are the categories that I have come up with so far.
>
> * Kernel
> * Desktop
> * Printing
> * Server Configuration Tools
> * File Systems
> * File Servers
> * Web Servers
> * GCC/Development Tools
> * Security
> * Java
> * System Daemons (cron, etc.)
> * Sound and Video
> * X Window System (xorg)
> * Status of all Packages
>
> What is missing or should be changed about these?

Scattered thoughts on the categories:

- Perhaps Sound & Video is more Multimedia, as video/graphics goes with
X.

- File Systems are closely tied in to the kernel, so may be those should
go together.

- IMHO, Samba is sufficiently funky to warrant it's own category.

- Perhaps have a Networking category to encompass DNS, DHCP,
NetworkManager etc.  It could be argued that the client and server
software ought to be handled as a single group here.

- It may be that PPC has specific issues that warrant it being handled
separately (no idea).

- Not sure where database servers ought to go.

To get things started: I can cover some combination of networking, Web
and Samba/File servers, plus databases or installation issues if those
are worthwhile categories.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA