CVS vendor and release tags

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon May 16 19:38:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 08:54 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> In the "common/cvs-en.xml" updates that I've recently made, I chose
> to use something like this:
>
> 	$ export CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
> 	$ export CVSROOT=':ext:<username>@cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs'
> 	$ cvs import <my-doc-name> <username> "initial"
>
> as the suggested initial command sequence.  The "vendor" is not
> really that important when it comes to branching, et. al., because we
> should really use explicit "cvs -t foo" to mark each release point
> for the document and then use "foo" as the branching/merging point.

+1

IIRC, this is what I've done in Red Hat before.  I'm actually quite new
to CVS myself (*pats his CVS Pocket Reference*.)

This is another reason I kindly asked Tommy to CVS admin and Paul to be
his assistant admin.  Paul, in running his own SVN server, has gleaned
much more SCM-fu than I have.

Tagging for branches makes good sense to me.  Easy thing to remember
that equates to a snapshot of the source.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide