Advise on Fedora RPM's

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Sun Nov 20 17:21:07 UTC 2005

Uttered Patrick Barnes <nman64 at n-man.com>, spake thus:

> +1 on the package type.  Location would be /usr/src/redhat.  The full
> name might be something like 'fedora-doc-install-guide-devel.src.rpm'.

Dude!  Thanks for the magic word "-devel"!  I don't know why I didn't
think of that from the first.  That was the missing piece, at least
for now ;-)

I'm thinking of these RPM's:

<foo>-<version>.src.rpm			Raw CVS dump, w/o CVS subdirs
<foo>-devel-<version>.noarch.rpm	Everything in CVS w/corrected paths

The .src RPM is for archiving purposes, I guess.

The -devel RPM is for folk wishing to use the FDP infrastructure but
not using the CVS facilities.  I'm not sure where the -devel files
should go, but maybe a "pkg-config" crutch would fix this.

The <lang> RPM would hold the XML infrastructure to allow desktop
tools like yelp to work.

Hmm... I'll think about this a bit more.

Thanks!