CMS use cases

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Tue Nov 22 23:28:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 12:50 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:

> Simple, the folks on fedora-websites-list have been discussing using a
> CMS to manage the formal Fedora websites.  One advantage is that it is
> like a Wiki, user friendly to readers, authors, and content maintainers.
>
> I just found myself trying to explain what a CMS brings that, say, a
> Wiki with ACLs cannot do.  To be honest, I'm not settled on my thoughts
> about what to do.  A CMS has value.  We could also install the lightest
> framework (Moin Moin + Python based framework, like Django) and build
> what we need as we go.

I think that the issue that I have with Wiki is more to do with the
expectations than the technology itself.

Pages on a Wiki site are never finalised, and get edited incrementally
by whoever has something to contribute. For prominent pages I think that
there ought to be a way of separating in-progress work from a
done/approved/unleash on the public version - perhaps more a feature of
CMS.

At a technical level I don't really distinguish between Wikis with
access control and CMS with on-line editing - different CMS/Wiki/portal
products do seem to encourage different working styles, though.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA