xmlstarlet (was: Re: Advise on Fedora RPM's)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:15:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 21:53 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 17:21 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > * [footnote]
> > > Someone pointed out that the Fedora Extras folk have been discussing
> > > the xmlstar tool but so far have avoided in because of the "ambiguous
> > > package name".  Even its author uses at least three different names
> > > for it on the web pages.  With the power of an RPM patch file, we can
> > > include the tool using any name we like.  With proper attribution in
> > > the SPEC file, we can name it anything we like.  No huhu.
> >
> > It looks like from the discussion you referenced that the original
> > packager has dropped out of the running.  Shall I email him and see if
> > he minds me picking up the package instead?  I don't mind patching it
> > and getting it into FE if it will help us move down this road by the
> > time of FC5t2 or t3.
>
> I wouldn't say I've "dropped out"; I haven't heard from upstream and
> have been too busy to deal with it. If you want it then by all means
> take it.

Pardon my poor choice of words -- was in a hasty rush to make the kids
some dinner. :-)  I meant "withdrawn the package for now."  We are
really interested in this package, so if you don't have time to do it we
(by which I mean "I," at least as far as this package goes) would be
happy to help, and you have our thanks for bringing it up to this
point.

> Also, it wasn't the package name but the binary name. "xml" was
> designated to be too generic. I did have a patch for it IIRC; let me
> look around.

If you thought you'd have to time *review* the package for Extras that
would probably be a huge help!  Thanks Ignacio!