Test of Docs Packaging

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 12:27:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-20 at 18:01 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
>
> > > What am I missing?
> > I'm thinking of the fact that there's no other piece of stuff in Fedora
> > that can't be built or rebuilt entirely from a .src.rpm and assorted
> > BuildRequires.  If someone "in the know" @RH says "Shut up, nobody
> > cares," that's good enough for me. :-)
>
> This seems empty form to me but I ain't @RH anymore.
>

> I keep envisioning only two use cases:
>
> 1) Developer -- eveything local from a CVS checkout, even if I don't
> have CVS write permission.
>
> 2) End user, aka read-only -- install the RPM's and yelp away.
>
> What am I missing?

3) People who want to use the FDP structure to write their own
documentation.

They don't necessarily care a whit about our content, so CVS access and
associated is not valuable.  Having a complete document building
environment is.

I don't know that this was an FDP intention from the start, but the fact
is people use our DocBook templates.  When we get PDF working, I expect
we'll see that number increase, mainly because we then have the most
complete DocBook toolchain that is also 100% free.

I think it is a good idea to have a common documentation infrastructure
RPM that is separate from the content packages.  Interacting like this?

1. Document package, foo-en.rpm -- stand-alone, has all build targets
and copy of XML for Yelp et al.

2. Document source package, foo-en.src.rpm -- requires doc
infrastructure package to build, this package is mainly XML, Makefile,
and images.

3. Document infrastructure package -- all that you need to build one of
the .src.rpms, to roll your own docs packages, or to roll your own
documentation set.

> Quaid? Final answer?

As long as I have addressed every point?  I do think I have.

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide