[Fwd: printing changes for FC5]

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Fri Oct 21 13:15:33 UTC 2005

Initial relnote for Printing.

See Tim's last question.

Subject: printing changes for FC5
From:    "Tim Waugh" <twaugh at redhat.com>
Date:    Fri, October 21, 2005 1:56 pm
To:      "Gavin Henry" <ghenry at suretecsystems.com>

Hi Gavin,

Sorry I didn't get to sending this to you yesterday.

Here are some noteworthy things that have changed in FC5:

o HPLIP is now included, and replaces HPOJ.  HPLIP is the transport
  mechanism for HP printers including OfficeJet multifunction
  devices.  It also includes an update version of the HPIJS inkjet
  driver, and a new program `hp-toolbox' for monitoring the status of
  attached devices (such as ink levels etc).

o ESP Ghostscript is now included instead of GPL Ghostscript.  ESP
  Ghostscript includes many cross-vendor fixes on top of GPL
  Ghostscript.

o New major version of Ghostscript: ESP Ghostcript 8.15.1 included,
  replacing GPL Ghostscript 7.07.

Do we need to mention things like that CUPS is now compiled using
-fstack-protector-all for better protection against stack overflow
security exploits?

Tim.
*/