establishing a timezone for FDP

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 21 14:43:57 UTC 2005

There are two reasons I use Eastern Daylight/Standard time:

* That is where the QA and release engineering teams for Fedora are
primarily based.  Working off a schedule that is intuitive for them
reduces the chances of miscommunication and mistakes.

* The same intuitiveness is currently spread throughout the Fedora
development community.

Should this change, or we want to lead a charge for UTC on all things,
feel free to challenge this concept.

Meanwhile, if we ever set a deadline, e.g. 24 October, this is what it
means:

24 October 23:59 Eastern Time

Yes, that means right before Midnight.  This way we provide the most
time for completing deadlines without having confusion about Midnight
meaning the start of the end of which day.

Alternately, we can set deadlines as COB (close of business), for an
additional cushion of time.  That would be:

24 October 17:00 Easter Time

Does this make sense?

When doing the scheduling for translation, I tried to add in a calendar
day as a cushion against any problems caused by a deadline being late
afternoon in APAC.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Schedule

                       Red Hat SELinux Guide