good <ulink> practice

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 19:53:29 UTC 2005

Tammy Fox wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:53 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
>
>>We had a discussion today, and decided that this is the best method for
>>using <ulink>:
>>
>><ulink url="http://www.apache.org"/>
>>
>>This makes the link text be drawn from the URL attribute, in both online
>>and print versions.  This way the URL is not lost, as it would be in
>>this method:
>>
>><ulink url="http://www.apache.org">Apache Foundation website</ulink>
>>
>>- Karsten
>

> Lost in what sense? When it is printed?

IIRC, the default print (xsl-fo) docbook stylesheets render the URL in a
foot note. So in that sense the URL is not lost either. But I could be
wrong - it *is* Friday, after all.

> If so, the way we work around
> this for the magazine is to have a print CSS that prints the URL in
> parentheses after the link. Thus, you get the best of both worlds--nice
> readable links in web format and printed URLs for printouts.
>
> Tammy

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
OS Product Documentation
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242