CVSROOT avail,1.13,1.14

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:45:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 08:25 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 18:43 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Call to a few select RH'ers... Do you think the maintainers of
> > redhat-menus (hopefully I hit at least one of them on the CC list
> > above)
> > would have a problem issuing an update that puts the "Documentation"
> > directory back in the menu system?
>
> Instead of adding new menu entries, would it make more sense to plug
> into the existing desktop documentation system (accessible via
> Desktop->Help)?  What is that, yelp?

This is already in the plan, as it were.  I've got that part working
even!  (OMF creation and installation is part of the package process
I've been working on, as well.)  Right now a Fedora doc sits in "Other
Documentation," about which I'm not entirely happy.  I see you found the
same top-level point-of-entry I did, the /usr/share/yelp/toc.xml file.

> We could have a "Fedora Documenation" link added to the main TOC
> (/usr/share/yelp/toc.xml).  I'm not incredibly familiar with the path
> from that point, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

The only problem I see with that, is that the yelp system doesn't seem
to have any built-in way of dropping in modular XML to alter the ToC.
(i.e., no way to have individual doc packages alter the table of
contents appropriately on package install/removal).  Therefore, changing
it would be a departure from upstream, and I know that in general Fedora
maintainers have been moving away from that methodology.  I'm happy if
someone says he will take on such a patch; if so, I'll Bugzilla it.

As far as redhat-menus goes, I would think that changing that package is
much less hassle, since upstream is Red Hat.  I'm hoping Ray Strode will
chime in with his take, since I see him prominently mentioned in the %
changelog for both these packages.

Ray, in case you are boggled for background, this is about getting
official Fedora docs from the Fedora Documentation Project packaged into
Core or Extras.  (Our preference is the former, since these packages are
small and not redundant with anything currently there.)