CVSROOT avail,1.13,1.14

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 14:46:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 09:51 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 08:45 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > The only problem I see with that, is that the yelp system doesn't seem
> > to have any built-in way of dropping in modular XML to alter the ToC.
> > (i.e., no way to have individual doc packages alter the table of
> > contents appropriately on package install/removal).  Therefore, changing
> > it would be a departure from upstream, and I know that in general Fedora
> > maintainers have been moving away from that methodology.  I'm happy if
> > someone says he will take on such a patch; if so, I'll Bugzilla it.
>
> Oh, good point.  That doesn't seem optimal.  I'd have thought there be a
> more dynamic method for dropping in distro specific docs and 3rd party
> pubs without changing the packaging.

Me too -- the idea of drop directories is so well-used now, it's kind of
a shock when developers *don't* use it.  So while I do intend to make
use of yelp (and likely khelpcenter), those solutions are not as
pleasing, given the way Fedora development currently works, as using a
"Documentation" submenu off the main menu.  I'm not sure why that was
removed in Fedora; in RHEL -- at least back when I used RHEL 2.1, and
maybe in 3 too -- when you installed official Red Hat documentation, it
ended up on the Main Menu under Documentation as expected.

There may be a way to drop the Documentation submenu into the current
freedesktop.org menu system in /etc/xdg, but I've tried eight ways to
Sunday with no luck.  Drop directories are supported there, but they
don't appear to work the way it looks like they should.  I've been
through the fd.o standards without joy.  Any insight someone else could
provide would be much appreciated.