Content for Plone

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 00:04:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 08:12 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 07:38 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Hi all Docsters,
>
> > 1.  Who wants to take on the Account Setup Guide?  Keep in mind you
> > won't have to do an awful lot of writing; it's mostly just collecting
> > written bits from the wiki, expanding them where needed, and making sure
> > everything flows nicely for an absolute newcomer.
>
> Edward Haddock started this already, from the angle of just trying to
> understand the sign-up process:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2006-April/msg00023.html

Excellent!  Edward, if you're out there, my canvassing was not meant as
a slight, I simply forgot this was on the cooker already.  Thanks for
stepping up to do this and -- if you have a chance -- let us know how
you're doing, and whether you could use any help.

> Edward -- if you want to write that up in plain text, OO.org doc, or
> whatever you are most comfortable with, another of us can convert it to
> XML and make it build with our toolchain.  Then you'd have a good, XML
> reference source to continue work from.  We can also generate a
> barebones outline in XML, with chapters sparsely populated with content
> ready to fill out, based on your outline.

Yeah, what he said!

> Just two moving-forward ideas. :)
>
> > 2.  How can we make our toolchain do the majority of the work for the
> > CMS, like publishing and such?  This is a more subtle question that
> > probably needs some batting around, and will require coordination with
> > Websites.  Seth Vidal and I will help connect these dots, but folks here
> > are intimate with our toolchain and we should be prepared to come to the
> > table with some answers.
>
> http://autobuild.org/ ?
>
> Perhaps Elliot and Tommy's look at DIY on webtest.fedora might make the
> argument for Autobuild stronger or ...?

I don't have any experience with (or, frankly -- other than looking
through some of the intro/FAQ/doc pages -- knowledge of) this tool.  But
certainly anything that would allow us to get our doc-building fingers
into all sort of presentation-layer pies is a Great Idea.

> > 3.  It might be a good idea for us to start thinking about what docs
> > content is "faster-evolving" than we can or should keep up with in CVS.
>
> I'd like to see the Wiki graduate content into the CMS, just as it
> graduates contributors from the lower-level tools to the upper-level
> tools.  This models the growing pattern we all have as writers, from
> basic content to more advanced content.

I couldn't agree more.  The interesting thing about the CMS is that it
combines the easy idea-to-posting capability of a Wiki with some of the
security and workflow aspects that would help us ensure quality
documentation for all.  I am just getting started using it so I'm sure
other people have a far better idea about how it all works.