[Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Drafts/SystemPlanningGuide" by SamFolkWilliams

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 03:09:20 UTC 2006

Comments below:

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 19:35 +0000, fedorawiki-noreply at fedoraproject.org
wrote:
> The following page has been changed by SamFolkWilliams:
> http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SystemPlanningGuide

[...snip...]

> -   What is open source, how that affects
> +  1. Before you begin the install
> +   * Decide how to structure your file system
> +    * Case scenarios
> +    * Example configurations
> +   * Decide if you wish to use LVM and/or software RAID
> +    * Benefits of
> +    * Hardware requirements
> +    * Limitations
> +   * Determine your firewall requirements
> +    * Overview of how iptables works
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How much detail here is going to be dependent on the target audience.
To determine your target audience, define what knowledge, skills, and
abilities a reader must possess for this guide to be useful.

I think it would be useful for the contributors to discuss the target
audience before filling in too much more detail here.  Such a discussion
would probably cut down on effort spent arguing over how much
information to include.

> +    * Importance of
> +    * Example configurations, including info on how to change later on
> +   * Determine what packages you want or need to install
> +    * Default, or not default
> +    * How to update/install software later
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Point to Stuart's yum guide rather than rewriting.  We don't want to
have to maintain two documents every time something changes in a
release.

> +    * Everything and minimal options (Why no longer available)

See numerous threads in f-devel-list... ;-D

> -   * what is in a distribution (nothing proprietary in Fedora)
> -   * software lifecycle (major releases twice a year, frequent updates that you can download automatically)
> -   * the choices you get when you install Fedora (many packages to choose among including several choices for most major functions, up to and including your desktop environment; you can build a very small and simple system or a system that is very rich)
> -   * how you get help (from the community, not customer service; pointers to other pages about mailinglists and websites; bug-reporting tools that have the additional benefit of letting you see exactly what bugs have been reported and how they are being acted on)
> +  1. Post-install planning
> +   * The Firstboot and basic configuration
> +   * Overview of package management strategy
> +   * Overview of basic "Newbie" pointers
> +   * How to get help
> +   * What now? (Further reading)

Careful here, this is starting to look somewhat repetitive with the
Installation Guide!  I would recommend everyone read that cover-to-cover
to familiarize themselves with the content.  No reason you can't argue
to move something out of the IG and into the SPG, but again, conserve
energy where possible...