just Fedora [RFC]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 21:03:49 UTC 2006

Based on conversations on fedora-advisory-board and the state of the
future, I propose we start using the word "Fedora" in all our
documentation to refer to:

* The distribution itself
* The set of packages
* The project

For the project case, I think a good style is this:

"For the first instance of referring to the formal project, use 'Fedora
Project' to set the context, then use 'Fedora' afterward to refer back
to the project.  If writing about both the project and the distribution,
use 'Fedora Project' in all cases, referring to the distribution as
'Fedora'."

We definitely want to stop using 'Fedora Core' for documentation in the
future.  Although we still need to identify the difference between
'Core' and 'Extras' in FC6 documentation, we can start to use 'Fedora'
in place of 'Fedora Core' now to save us the work of changing it later.

When things are settled around "The server version of Fedora is called
Fedora Foo, and the desktop live-CD is called Fedora Bar," then we'll
use those terms.  However, since the different flavors do not exist yet,
we don't need to start worrying about them. :)

- Karsten, who hates search and replace in the Wiki
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project