Test Case for Yum document

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 22:39:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 19:58 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> Team Members:
>
> Here is a test case for updating the yum guide, "Managing Software with Yum".
>
> On web page http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/en/sn-yum-proxy-server.html,
> there is a typo:
>
> The section:
>
> # The proxy server - proxy server:port number
> proxy=http://mycache.mydomain.com:3128
> # The account details for yum connections
> proxy_username=yum-user
> proxy_password=qwerty
>
> should be:
>
> # The proxy server - proxy server:port number
> http_proxy=http://mycache.mydomain.com:3128  <==
> # The account details for yum connections
> proxy_username=yum-user
> proxy_password=qwerty
>
> (I found this out the hard way).

What, exactly, did you experience or observe?  I have the first usage in
my /etc/yum.conf and it works.  I just did a "yum clean all" and
everything worked as expected with my squid proxy.  (I am tunneling it
through SSH, but that shouldn't matter in this case.)

A quick glance at /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/config.py
and /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/yumRepo.py says this usage is
more complicated.  You may be able to use a different proxy for each
protocol, but "proxy=<URL>" is a perfectly valid usage.

> The current approach is to file a bug report with bugzilla.
> Should we continue with this approach?
>
> Do we correct the wiki version instead and then apply the
> fixes to the DocBook version? The wiki page is located at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/SoftwareManagementGuide/YumProxy
>
> This is a real example. I am in the process of documenting the
> work flow and really would like feedback on this.

I would advocate further investigation before you file this one. :-)
Happy to help if I can!