Relicensing

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Feb 19 06:59:35 UTC 2006

On Saturday 18 February 2006 13:00, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> In relicensing documentation, how do we document relicensing from
> authors other than ourselves?  For example, I am the sole author of the
> mirror-tutorial, so that's a fait accompli.  But I'm a contributing
> author of the jargon-buster, and at least one of the other folks there
> is no longer active in the FDP.  As far as I know, it's not possible to
> sign away a copyright, so I'd make the following suggestion:
>
> An/the active author or editor should contact all contributing authors,
> notify each of the proposed licensing change, including links to
> pertinent documentation on the Wiki.  Ask each to reply ASAP to
> fedora-docs-list at redhat.com with a PGP/GPG-signed message approving the
> change.  If the list does not receive any word back from the authors, we
> may have to proceed as on the Wiki -- in other words, removing that
> author's contributions as shown in change history (CVS for us).
>
> Any other suggestions or strategies?

Didn't the past authors either work for Red Hat or complete the CLA?  In the
U.S., copyright assignment ("to sign away a copyright") is allowed, and
that's what the CLA relies upon, so if either of the above conditions are
met, we can apply a license without contacting those prior contributors.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/