Self-Introduction: Steven Pierce

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Sat Jan 28 12:25:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 21:42 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:

> It would be nice to offer contributors a VNC session to a Fedora desktop
> running on a remote server.  It would make enforcing system norms and
> screenshot standards easier if we could set the defaults and distribute
> them as sessions.

FWIW, I rented a VNC-accessible Red Hat 8 desktop from Workspot a few
years ago. They dealt with the security issue by patching VNC to use
SSL, and most aspects of the service worked pretty well. The issue at
the time was latency - even on high-bandwidth connections it was
slightly too laggy to comfortably run applications on the remote
desktop. I haven't tried VNC across the Internet since then - current
software might perform much better.

The Workspot site is still there:

http://www.workspot.com/

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA