Making a case for ".cvsignore" again ;-)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 07:59:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 21:21 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:

> My recommendation is that the "fdp-info-${LANG}.xml" files NOT be
> archived in CVS.  They are derivative files and archiving them in CVS
> may mess up the file timestamps such that after a "cvs update" the
> document may not rebuild correctly.

Agreed.  Generated files should not be in CVS.  Obvious exceptions are
files that are generated in another location, such as graphics.

> I think this is a job for ".cvsignore", to prevent the inadvertent
> archiving of these files:
>
> ========= .cvsignore =============
> fdp-info-*.xml
> ==================================
>
> should do the trick.  Then even if an "fdp-info-${LANG}.xml" file
> gets archived, CVS will simply ignore the archived version on updates
> and ignore the local version on commits.
>
> There has been prior resistance to having a ".cvsignore" file in the
> CVS archive itself (although having your own local one is just fine),
> but this may require more thought.  I like the idea of having this
> preventative file in CVS.

I don't recall the objections to a .cvsignore file in CVS itself.  In
fact, that sounds quite elegant to me.  We could put one in all the
modules, populated to start with the fdp-info-*.xml

Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject