Adding rendered HTML to RPM packaging

Stuart Ellis stuart at elsn.org
Tue Jan 24 22:11:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 13:23 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 15:26 -0800, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 16:48 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > > Hello, All!
> > >
> > > Currently, the RPM packaging is geared to produce two types of RPM:
> > >
> > > 1) A .src.rpm whose content is somewhat similar to a CVS checkout; and
> > >
> > > 2) A .noarch.rpm whose content is targeted to the GNOME/KDE help
> > >    infrastructure.
> > >
> > > Should we also include the rendered HTML files in the .noarch.rpm or
> > > should we have an additional version?
> >
> > What's the use case for additional rendered HTML files?
>
> Local URIs to use via file:/// in Firefox.  Maybe linked from the
> relnotes.

It may also be useful for headless servers - the httpd-manual package
might be a useful model for this.

> I'd like to see there be a sort of envar $FEDORA_NEAREST_DOCS_URI that
> can be set for a user so that Firefox goes to this URI for
> documentation.  That lets people get content locally when offline or
> behind a restrictive firewall.
>
> Or am I just weird?

No - that sounds like a nice touch. Perhaps just $NEAREST_DOCS_URI, so
that it's obvious that site admins can use it to specify custom document
sites.

--

Stuart Ellis

stuart at elsn.org

GPG key ID: 7098ABEA
GPG key fingerprint: 68B0 E291 FB19 C845 E60E  9569 292E E365 7098 ABEA