Make HTML encoding of docs UTF-8

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Jul 3 03:51:53 UTC 2006

On Sunday 02 July 2006 17:13, "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 15:55 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I noticed that the html docs do not use a UTF-8 encoding. Searching the
> > archive of this list I found this "problem" noticed in the past but I
> > didn't find any post saying why we haven't changed it yet.
> >
> > Would this be too hard to fix without affecting other ascii-encoded
> > *redhat.com pages? Or should we wait for the plone site?
>
> Hm, good point Dimitris... I wonder whether we should have "xhtml"
> targets in Makefile.common.  My understanding is the impact of XHTML is
> minimal to non-existent for browsing clients, but I may be (as usual)
> half (or less) informed.  Anyone care to offer a wiser opinion?

XHTML is currently an issue with rather passionate supporters on both sides.
I'm generally a supporter of XHTML, but many of the opposing viewpoints are
valid concerns.  Since there aren't any issues with using HTML 4.01, I would
recommend sticking with it on fedora.redhat.com for now.

I don't see any reason we couldn't use UTF-8 for the HTML documents, and I
would support making that change.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com