RFC: Move rpm-info back into locale dirs

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 11:36:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 15:54 -0500, His Divine Shadow wrote:
> Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
>
> > I believe (or, if you like, "see the light") that this file needs to
> > return to the locale whence it came, to make translation easier for our
> > most excellent cadre of volunteers.  If its contents appear in the
> > PO/POT files, it's one less annoying FDP-specific step they have to
> > remember or take.
>
> As the person who put the rpm-info.xml file in the ${PRI_LANG}
> directory, cough cough, I think this is a good idea ;-)  When we
> agreed to move this up to the document's base directory, I didn't
> disagree because the translatable elements in that file are each
> given their own "lang=foo" attribute.

Yeah, this was before we entered the I18N/L10N era and saw the Brave New
World of Translation.

> Stupid me.

"Who is more fool, the fool or the fool who follows him?"  ;-D

> This arrangement makes it almost impossible to generate the
> boilerplate texts in a locale-specific manner.  Not knowning much
> about the ".desktop" files and such, you know.

[...snip...]
> > Comments welcome and appreciated.  Silence gives consent.  Absence makes
> > the heart grow fonder.
>
> You wanna take a stab at this or do you want me to?  I'd recommend
> that we revisit the DTD and remove all the "lang=foo" attributes to
> avoid downstream confusion.

My thoughts exactly.  Hmm... I just got a few new tasks added to my
plate for the Board, so *if you have time* (which I know is a big "if"
right now) I know it would take you less time to get it right.  If you
don't, I have some time to flail at this next week -- same routine, I'll
send you a patch to look at.

     Fedora Project Board: http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board