[ANN] Re: Entities idea

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 22:00:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 20:57 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:
>
> > People are inevitably going to want local entities in their document.
>
> Hmm.. translatable local entities.  I guess it's a natural
> progression.  I'll look into adding XML->ENT productions into
> "Makefile.common" next month, er, tomorrow, 2006-03-01.

I think I have the beginnings of this underway (q.v. "cvs diff -r1.80
-r1.81 Makefile.common").  I think we should handle all our entity and
document snippet generation the same way we handle our docs, i.e.
subdirectories for PRI_LANG and PO.  Or is this overkill?  Our entities
and snippets have changed enough over time in the last couple of years
that I think the ROI is worth it.  What do you think?

Anyhoo, the upshot is that now a document author can write a
"entities.xml" file in his PRI_LANG directory, using the DTD
"../../docs-common/common/entities/entities.dtd".  Write any local
entities needed, including DOCNAME, DOCVERSION, DOCDATE, DOCID, and
BUG-NUM, and you're off to the races.  This file will be combined with
the docs-common/common/entities/entities-${LANG}.xml file to generate
the "locale-entities.xml" file in your module's top directory.

The only thing any document will need for its DTD is the following:

<!DOCTYPE ........       [

<!ENTITY % LOCALE-ENTITIES SYSTEM "../locale-entities.xml">
%LOCALE-ENTITIES;

]>

(Every XML document now has its own DTD declaration, and you should put
this in each one.)